Saturday, October 3, 2009

Judaculla Rock in Cullowhee

September 18th the book club discussed the book One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus. The book is about white American women being traded to the Cheyenne in 1875 in order to teach the Cheyenne the white peoples way of living. Some of the sections, especially the ending, were gruesome. I shared with the ladies that after I read the book I was very upset by the ending and felt a need to feel grounded. I thought a hike might help me feel better, even though it was raining. While I was at the library researching hiking trails in the area I remembered there was a rock in the area with petroglyphs carved in it. I suddenly had a mission to find the rock. A quick phone call to Mara at the front desk in the Boarding House gave me the information I needed to get there. Judaculla Rock is a large (probably 10 X 14 feet) soapstone rock carved with images. A turtle, octupus and squid are visible as well as stick people drawings. As I sat there I couldn't help but think of all the people over the ages who have called these mountains home. They estimate the etchings were done between 3000 BC and 1000 BC. If you would like to study the rock and maybe even unlock its message here's how to get there. Go south on SR 23 to Sylva exit 85. At the intersection where you have to go left or right, turn left onto SR 107 toward Western Carolina University. Follow SR 107 for 9 miles and turn left onto Caney Fork Road. There's a BP gas station on the right. Continue for 3 miles and bear left. It's well marked. The rock is located in the field at the end of the farm road. I hope you enjoy the rock as much as I did.



No comments:

Post a Comment